I once saw a post about a 20-something gal who wrote a letter to herself as a teenager. I thought it was a great idea, so I figured I would do the same today. Hopefully someone out there will read this during their teenage years and heed my advice—trust me, it will be worth it!
A letter to my teenage self:
- Go to community college---you will save $50,000 and a helluva lot of time
- Consider the consequences of drinking in the woods at 16, then decide to stay home and watch a movie instead
- Try to be a little nicer to your sisters..one day you will be best friends and you will realize that you can’t live without them
- Do NOT apply for that credit card with the shiny logo and nearly unlimited spending power---your credit will thank you
- While riding the subway, never sit on the inside--people are creeps and will try to grab you...punch them if they do
- Stand up for yourself against the bullies at school..one day you will be happy and successful and they will still be mentally 17
- Break-ups happen...A LOT...don't sit in your room and listen to sappy songs for 48 hours---these speed bumps are just making your heart stronger so that when the time comes, you can give half of it away to your soul mate
- One day you are going to cave in and move to Florida, even though you are a "city girl" at heart...trust me, it's for the best
- Eat a ton of cheese steaks, because when you eventually do move to Florida, you will miss them more than you know
- Stop trying to change who you are to fit in. You are unique and quirky and tacky and that's ok--one day your husband will love you even more because of these things
- Never underestimate the importance of a job. As an adult you will need all of the experience you can get.
- Your mom is not being a nag when she tells you not to drink and drive...you will witness some things that make you understand the importance of this--take it to heart
- Learn to love ramen noodles. There will be a time in your life when dinner will be a choice between ramen noodles or chips, and you will be ever-so-thankful for that 30 cent packet
- When Jon Bon Jovi signs your cell phone case, stop using it!! Instead of keeping it on there for another 6 months until the signature wears off, put it on eBay and sell that hunk of plastic!!
- One day it won't matter that your curfew is 10:00, while everyone else is out roaming the streets. It won't matter that you only had a handful of friends instead of a huge gathering. And it definitely won't matter what your sister/boyfriend/friend said or did to you to piss you off. Because one day, you are going to look around and realize that your life is pretty damn awesome. And the crazy ass roller coaster ride to get here has only made it that much better.
What would you say to your teenage self? Feel free to comment or write your own list!
I hope you enjoyed!!