Monday, January 6, 2014

That time we went on a cruise...

So the hubby and I went on a cruise in August, and the pictures have yet to be seen by the outside world. It has been FIVE months. There is zero excuse for my laziness, except for the fact that my phone was turned off for the entire week (have you seen the rates for roaming charges in Mexico?) and I just bought a new laptop last week so I had no way to upload them from my camera to the computer until now. Anyway, better late than never, right?

Here are some pictures of the trip...followed by a terrible-but-looking-back-now kind of funny story about our day in the Yucatan Peninsula.


Me and the hubby


Goofing off on our 1st day

View from Progreso

The water is amazing!


How handsome is he?

 

Enjoying some time on the deck 

The most beautiful sunset I've ever seen


I should let you know that our main reason for cruising to the Yucatan Peninsula was to see the Mayan Ruins in Uxmal. We had been talking about it for months, knew the price, the distance from the cruise port---we were pumped. If you notice from the above pictures, there are none of the ruins. Zero. Did I leave my camera on the ship, you ask? Was I in such awe of the amazingness that I forgot to take pictures? Nope. Here’s what happened. I read all of the cruise boards, researched the price of the excursion, called our bank to let them know we would be out of the country. You could say I had all of my bases covered. What I didn’t account for is the fact that some people in some third world countries are not the most honest group of ladies and gents. What I also did not account for is the tour guide company attempting to charge my bank account $1000.00 for a $100 trip to the ruins. You read that right. One-thousand-dollars. Luckily, our bank blocked the transaction BOTH times they tried running the card (although at the time, I had a few choice words in mind for my bank). So here we are, stranded 6 kilometers from the cruise ship, a debit card that is not working, no phones (my brilliant idea to leave them on the ship...”We won’t need them babe, let’s just leave them”), and one $50 bill. The tour is leaving in 10 minutes, and the tour guide tells us that there is a bank around the corner that should be open. At this point I am petrified---I could not have been any closer to Steven while walking around this town, which by the way had stray dogs running around and I SWEAR I saw a trashcan fire with a group of men sitting around it. We finally find a bank, and the atrium is open. Quick on his feet as always, the hubby puts his business debit card into the ATM (how awful if the ATM would have eaten our debit card instead, right?) and we pull out $50 to pay for the rest of the tour. Wrong again...out comes 50 pesos, which is like $13. Great trip so far, right? After withdrawing the correct amount, we book it back to the shuttle, only to find out that it has already left. Luckily, the tour guide took us back to the ship where we drank away our bitterness and enjoyed the empty pool. Aside from our bank blocking our card a second time, the rest of the trip went off without a hitch, and we can’t wait to cruise again this year!

P.S--If you haven't been on a cruise, I would highly suggest it, if for no other reason than the food. You can eat 24 hours a day. We ordered room service almost every night, just because. Yumm



2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to go on a cruise! How fun! And definitely better late than never ;)
    xo TJ

    http://www.hislittlelady.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great time!! I would definitely recommend it! And the food was amazing!!! :)

    ReplyDelete