Friday, April 18, 2014

There's always a bad apple in the bunch


There's always a bad apple in the bunch 



Happy Friday!! There is a monsoon going on outside here in the "sunshine" state, and even that can't take away the fact that is is finally Friday!!


So in Monday's post I wrote about how we had the entire family over for dinner this past weekend. It was a great time--great conversation, babies everywhere, delicious food..ok, almost all of the food was delicious.

One thing that I should mention is that I eat applesauce on almost anything. I absolutely love it. I dip everything from chicken and steak to mashed potatoes and corn in my applesauce. It is rare that you will not see it on my plate at dinner. Sunday night was no exception. I loaded up my plate with a little bit of everything--chicken, steak, potatoes, corn on the cob, baked beans, biscuits--and in the teeny tiny space left of my plate I poured a mound of applesauce.  After a few dips I started to notice that every bite I took tasted weird..kind of sour and funky. I tried each bite by itself, all dipped in applesauce, and came to 1 of 2 conclusions. Either my taste buds were completely failing me (which would be a complete and utter travesty, by the way), or the applesauce was bad. I checked the jar to make sure I hadn't grabbed some kind of sugar free, low fat cinnamon nonsense, and everything looked normal. I checked the expiration date--it was still good for another 4 years (Seriously? Applesauce is good for THAT long unopened?? I feel like that's a bit extreme, but whatever). I looked around at my nieces and nephews and they didn't seem to notice anything weird, so I gave in to the fact that my taste buds were screwing with me and I would never be able to eat applesauce again.

Fast forward 4 days. Last night as we were getting ready to sit down for dinner, I decided to give the applesauce another go. I just could not accept the fact that I didn't like applesauce anymore. I pulled out the jar, checked the date again to make sure I hadn't been seeing things the other day, and everything still looked fine. I figured that I would try one more fail-safe method for testing the applesauce. Off comes the lid and I take a huge whiff of the enormous jar. I only wish that I had decided to look inside the jar before sniffing. Sitting on the top of applesauce was a layer of white mold, thick and chunky in all of its furry goodness. My first thought? OMG I ate mold. My second thought? OMG I just sniffed mold. I guess my first thought probably should have been OMG the babies ate the moldy applesauce, but for whatever reason I had a total selfish moment. I thought back to Sunday night--I know I had checked the jar after it tasted funny--and there was nothing in the jar but regular old applesauce. Not exactly the case last night. Here are some lovely pictures to get your appetite going this morning:





Luckily, no one got sick (yet) from eating the moldy applesauce. Since we shop at that particular grocery store pretty frequently, I don't want to blemish the name publicly, but I will say that I will no longer buy applesauce from there! And from now on I will scrutinize every jar before opening and before every meal. And that jar will be promptly returned to the store.

I hope our moldy adventures were a great start to your Friday morning, and I hope you all have a fabulous weekend!!!
 

post signature

4 comments:

  1. OMGSH!! that is so crazy--first off that it has a four year expiration date and that it grew mold--never knew it could even do that! I am so glad no one got sick and now you have a very funny story :)

    Have a most fabulous Easter!
    Tori
    FashionBlingGirlyThings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!!! I couldn't believe how long it was supposed to be good for!! Milk goes bad after like 20 minutes! I hope you have a great Easter too!! :)

      Brianna

      Delete
  2. I am not sure if my last comment went.

    Thank you for stopping by my blog. I am a new follower on your blog. Love meeting new people


    Have a great Easter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following along!!!! I hope you have a great Easter!!!

      Brianna

      Delete