Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Turning in my Yankee card


Turning in my Yankee card

So, this happened this morning...


As I snapped this picture I realized that he was parked perfectly in between the two lines. Ummm, hello, someone drove their tractor to the gas station and my first thought was how straight he was parked? Seriously? So that got me thinking, and I realized that I am officially fully southernized. Being born and raised in Philly, it was a HUGE adjustment moving down to Florida--It took a few years before I really felt at home. Although I have now crossed over and become a full-blown Floridian, there are still things, every now and then, that cause me to stop and think "Did that really just happen?" For today's post I decided to share with you all some of the things that come with living in the south. You know, aside from all the "bless your heart's" and "fixin's."


For example:

It's not everyday you have to stop your car for one of these...



Is that a drive-thru? At a liquor store?

 
There are no sidewalks...anywhere. 


And how often does your sky look like this?



And heaven forbid you need directions! "Yea, just down the road you'll see a dirt path, up yonder a little ways.."


There is no such thing as soil...if you want to plant flowers or dig a hole, you better get ready for a long day and a helluva lot of sand and red clay.


In the mood for fast food? No such thing down here. It usually takes between 7 and 10 minutes to get your food from a drive-thru, however I once waited for 15 minutes...and there were only 2 cars in line


 Ever hear of a hurricane party? Me either, until moving down here. What's that you ask? Pretty much exactly what it sounds like..Hey, there's a huge hurricane out in the Gulf, want to grill up everything we have in the freezer , buy tons of liquor and ride out the storm?! Sure, sounds like a plan!

 ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 Some of this may sound strange and crazy to you. And believe me, it is. BUT---small town living has some huge perks...


 Everyone, young or old, is referred to as sir or ma'am. It was a refreshing change from the "hey you's" and "yo's" I was accustomed to in Philly.

I have been here 5 years, and I have been in ONE traffic jam that lasted longer then 10 minutes. ONE! And not to rub it in, but the speed limit down here is 70



If you get a flat tire, run out of gas or the couch that you are carrying in your truck falls off, have no fear. 14 cars will stop to help you in 30 seconds flat.

 
When I was in a car wreck a few years ago, the woman who hit me took off without stopping (whaddabiotch, right?). A random person saw what happened, FOLLOWED the hit-&-runner 2 miles down the road and pulled into a parking lot behind her. She got out and said "I have your license plate number, if you don't go back I'm calling the police!" Then she followed her all the way back to the accident!! Love me some Southern hospitality!


Everyone talks to everyone. No exceptions.
Walking down the street? Stop and chat with a passer-by for a few minutes.
Driving past a random stranger on a street you've never been down? Might as well wave.
Standing in line for 30 minutes at the grocery store? Don't worry about it, just turn around and strike up a conversation with the person behind you.

 
Every have one of those days where you don't feel like getting out of your pj's and slippers, but you are completely out of tampons and red bull? (no, just me?) Have no fear, the dress code at most places doesn't require a shirt, let alone proper shoes. A pair of paint-covered-hole-filled sweatpants with a too-big tshirt? Pretty much an everyday wardrobe staple down here.


If this post hasn't convinced you to turn in your Yankee card and head for the beaches, I guess I haven't done a good enough job. And while you enjoy the polluted, bumper-to-bumper ride home today, I'll be smooth sailing...right over this...

 
Y'all enjoy!! :)


Linked With:
I would so rock this
Style Sessions


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment