Friday, June 20, 2014

3 Tacos? Count me in!


3 Tacos? Count me in!!

I don't need to lose weight. I'm not saying that to rub it in to anyone, or to make people hate me, I am simply stating a fact to introduce today's post. For whatever reason I have a wicked fast metabolism and I can't gain a pound to save my life. I know, skinny girl problems, right? I tell you all of this so you don't think I am one of those girls who starves herself and survives on water and lettuce. (If you haven't read this post, I invite you to check it out...I promise it will make you hungry....) I eat. I eat a lot, and I eat often. I try to eat a bagel with butter every morning for breakfast, then I either bring something from home for lunch or I end up ordering a medium pepperoni pizza and eating half most of it by myself. By 3:00 I am starving again, which is usually when I head upstairs and unload my change purse into the vending machine, buying 3 bags of salty goodness to hold me off until dinner. It's a vicious cycle that is only satisfied when I am actually shoving the food in my mouth.

Anyway, back to today's post. Every time we go grocery shopping, I try to pick up a few boxed meals to bring for lunch. One of my favorites is Stouffer's Fettuccine Alfredo, but to be honest, I normally just grab a few of whatever brand is on sale. This week it was Lean Cuisine. I grabbed a few different kinds--Ravioli, some chicken dish, Alfredo--and figured they would be just as good as Stouffer's. Umm, seriously? Couldn't have been more wrong. Let me be clear. The raviolis were really good. Like, surprisingly good considering they came from a box. They had a tone of flavor and the sauce wasn't half bad. Unfortunately, I barely got to experience the flavor due to the fact that the box came with 6 ravioli. You read that right, S-I-X.  I thought maybe there was some mistake--surely 6 ravioli could not be considered a meal? I sat down and started to research, and it turns out, there was no mistake. The serving size is 6 ravioli. Ok, I get it, Lean Cuisine is normally eaten by someone who is on a diet (as evident by the "Weight Watchers" point values on the back), but come on now. 6 ravioli wasn't even enough to take the edge off, let along fill me up!! I'm not saying that there should be a pound of ravioli in the box, but at least give me 10. Ten is a nice round number, and honestly, how many extra calories would 4 little raviolis add? (153, apparently...)



Just for fun, I am going to compare the nutritional information in 1 box of Lean Cuisine Ravioli with some well known food items, just to see the difference in portion sizes:


Here are the items:
Taco Bell Crunchy Taco


Lean Cuisine Cheese Ravioli
 

Domino's Medium Thin Crust Pepperoni


Wendy's Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger


Calories:
Lean Cuisine Ravioli- 230 calories
Wendy's Jr Bacon Cheeseburger- 330 calories
Taco Bell Crunchy Taco- 150 calories
Domino's Medium Pepperoni Pizza- 170 calories per slice

Fat:
Lean Cuisine Ravioli- 5 grams fat
Wendy's Jr Bacon Cheeseburger- 22 grams fat
Taco Bell Crunchy Taco- 10 grams fat
Domino's Medium Pepperoni Pizza- 9.5 grams fat per slice

Sodium:
Lean Cuisine Ravioli- 640mg
Wendy's Jr Bacon Cheeseburger- 870mg
Taco Bell Crunchy Taco- 310mg
Domino's Medium Pepperoni Pizza- 380mg per slice


I don't know about you, but if I had the choice between 6 itty-bitty little raviolis or 3 crunchy tacos, I'll take the extra 200 calories, 290 mg sodium and 25g of fat! It might be in my best interest to skip the medium pizza for a little while though...(1360 calories, 76 grams of fat and 3000 mg of sodium in one pizza!?!)

I hope everyone had a fabulous week!!

Linked With:
High Five For Friday
That Friday Blog Hop
Sincerely Paula's no Rules Weekend
Little Friday Link Up


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment